Senior Associate: Alumni Support
Position: Full time
Start Date: As soon as role is filled
Your mission: To build and manage our alumni support program. Since 2014, we have run four 10-month programs supporting the growth of 37 companies across East Africa. During this time, we have learned that our entrepreneurs continue to need support to grow their businesses because: i) Their needs evolve as they grow and ii) Growth takes time. We are building our Alumni Support program to continue to effectively provide long term support to our entrepreneurs as they grow.
- Manage our current Alumni support program. This will involve implementing our current program for our exisiting alumni.
- Build an improved Alumni support program. This will involve working closely with our alumni, team, network and external stakeholders to research, design and build a program that effectively and continually grows our their businesses
- Continuously provide our alumni with the resources they need to grow. This will involve continuously understanding the key challenges and critical areas of need of our alumni and coordinating with our team and network to provide them with the right resources to solve these challenges and fulfill these needs.
- Build and maintain an active, supportive, engaged and thriving alumni community. This will involve:
- Building and maintaining a strong relationship between UEA and our alumni.
- Maintain regular two-way communication between UEA and our alumni through multiple channels including direct contact, email blasts, social media, newsletter and more.
- Designing, organising and running events with and for our alumni to increase UEA-alumni engagement and Alumni-Alumni engagement.
- Building and maintaining an active alumni database, capturing key updated information on our alumni and their businesses.
- Doing whatever it takes to maintain high engagement between UEA & Alumni and Alumni & Alumni.
- Supporting UEA’s Monitoring and Evaluation. This will involve:
- Continually evaluating and reporting on the effectiveness of our support on our alumni.
- Continually collecting information and key data on the growth and impact of our entrepreneurs and their businesses.
- Support in developing and managing relationships with strategic partners. You will be expected to ensure we continue to develop key strategic partnerships(knowledge partners, event venue partners, conference partners and more) for UEA and our alumni as part of the UEA network team.
- Doing whatever it takes to give an UNREASONABLE advantage to companies. We are a small entrepreneurial team that steps up when there is work to be done. At times, you’ll be expected to work outside of just your role to contribute to our team’s overall efforts.
We want someone who(qualifications)
We understand that you may have demonstrated these capabilities in a broad variety of sectors including business start up, education, program management or something else. We are more interested in your abilities to demonstrate to us how you have demonstrated these abilities in the multiple contexts in which you have and are not limiting the ways you have demonstrated them.
- You have at least 3-5 years of relevant experience. You have done a similar role or done similar tasks in multiple past roles.
- You are willing to tackle projects without much guidance/structure. You are able to set your own goals and manage your time in order to execute quality work within tight deadlines.
- You are driven to find solutions to problems. When faced with challenges you are able to step back to view the bigger picture to work-out the best way to address them. You are able to quickly think through and strategize to put together a plan of action.
- You enjoy interacting and engaging with people and can demonstrate how you approach relationships with empathy and gain people’s confidence and trust.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills and can demonstrate successfully engaging people using communications tools such as newsletters, social media and email.
- You have thrived in fast paced uncertain and unstructured environments. You are used to and have succeeded in fast paced and fast changing environments that requires multi-tasking abilities.
- You have designed a program/project from scratch that you have successfully implemented. You took the program or project from a concept/idea, built an implementation plan and successfully rolled it out.
- You have experience organizing and executing events, seminars and intimate gatherings.
- You have developed and run active databases. You are proficient working with excel, data sets or have worked with CRM systems in organising and managing databases for daily use.
- You are able to sit down with an entrepreneur and quickly diagnose and understand the key drivers in their business and the key challenges they are facing. You are able to match an entrepreneur’s need to our resources.
- You have thrived in or have led a team that is culturally diverse. Our team and the entrepreneurs we work with are from culturally diverse backgrounds. We are also open to candidates that have not necessarily worked in such environments but have probably and successfully worked with clients from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Skills + Capabilities
- You have high levels of Emotional Intelligence. You are able to recognise and clearly separate between your own and other people’s emotion, distinguish between different feelings and emotions, label them, and use them to guide thinking and behaviour. You are able to manage and adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve one’s goals.
- You are a great listener. To be successful in this role, you will need to listen carefully to teammates and our entrepreneurs to understand what is needed and design a path to get there.
- You are curious and question the status quo. You understand the importance of asking the right questions to get a more indepth understanding of what the real problems or challenges are.
- You are meticulous and organized. You can seamlessly work with several moving parts while keeping an eye on the details. You are able to create systems to keep things organized.
- You believe that we > I (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us.
- You know that the “magic is in the details”. You pay attention to the small things that make a difference. You believe that no task is too small.
- Most importantly, you believe in the power of entrepreneurship to solving some of the greatest challenges that we face and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey as we seek to make our world a much better place.
The Unreasonable Values
We are a values-driven organization, and we love to work with people that share these values:
- Treat everyone like the Messiah – Humility
- Be militantly transparent- Truthfulness
- Lean into fear- Courage
- Experiment boldly- Experiment
- Do what works- Impact
- Get shit done- Execution
- Remember to dance- Celebrate
How to APPLY
Step 1: Submit your application
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Alumni Support SA: [Your Name]”. Please attach the following 3 documents to the email:
- Your resume.
- A document with answers to these questions.
- Why are you interested in this Senior Associate position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria. (max 700 words)
The deadline for applications is 20th April, 2018