Investor Relations Intern
Position: Full time Paid Internship
Start Date: As soon as role is filled
Your mission: To support the CEO and the Director of Investment to grow and manage our investor and donor networks globally. Growing the networks involves identifying, researching and recruiting investor and donor prospects and providing recommendations on a prospect recruitment strategy. Managing the networks involves, strengthening and managing the relationships of our network which includes back end administrative work to populate, organise and maintain the investor and donor CRM and other information systems. This also requires compiling regular reports and providing recommendations on the network engagement strategy.
- Prospecting + Recruitment: Proactive investor and donor prospect research to determine their investment criteria and philanthropic interests and prepare profiles that include recommended engagement plans.
- Information Management: Populate, organize, and maintain the investor and donor CRM and other information systems and compile regular reports.
- Network Administration: Prepare materials and dossiers for investor and donor calls and meetings for entrepreneurs and the CEO.
- Knowledge Database: Have an in depth understanding of our investor and donor interests making sure it’s well documented.
- Engagement: Design & execute investor networking events and newsletters.
- Doing whatever it takes to give an UNREASONABLE advantage to companies. We are a small entrepreneurial team that steps up when there is work to be done. At times, you’ll be expected to work outside of just your role to contribute to our team’s overall efforts.
We want someone who(qualifications)
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree.
- No Experience Required. We are not looking for someone who has experience with investment, managing investor networks or donor networks, but rather someone who has:
- Has deep passion for this kind of work, and is interested to build their career in this field, and
- Has the fundamental skills and ability to learn fast and acquire more skills needed to perform his/her responsibilities.
Skills + Capabilities
- You can demonstrate the ability to analyze and synthesize data from a wide variety of sources, and present the resulting information in a clear and concise way.
- You can demonstrate proficiency in the methods of information acquisition, including use of online sources and print directories.
- You show initiative in identifying new sources of information, as they become necessary and/or available.
- You are Organized.You can show us how you have stepped into ambiguous and disorganized situations and brought structure whether at work or in your personal life.
- You believe that we > I (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us.
- You have strong proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word and MS Powerpoint.
- Most importantly, you believe in the power of entrepreneurship to solving some of the greatest challenges that we face and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey as we seek to make our world a much better place.
The Unreasonable Values
We are a values-driven organization, and we love to work with people that share these values:
- Treat everyone like the Messiah – Humility
- Be militantly transparent- Truthfulness
- Lean into fear- Courage
- Experiment boldly- Experiment
- Do what works- Impact
- Get shit done- Execution
- Remember to dance- Celebrate
This role has equal parts learning and doing, a combination that we hope gives long-term value to you, your skill set, and your impact on the East African region. You get to work in a work environment designed to ensure continuous learning, excellence and all dimensions of job satisfaction. You also get to be part of an extensive international network of investors,donors, professionals and entrepreneurs with a deep and diversified pool of expertise, all committed to growing the East African region.
This internship will expose you to the world of philanthropy and venture capital. You will learn how to apply project management skills, communication and organizational skills. You also get access to mentorship and coaching from our team and extensive network of mentors on addition to other professional development opportunities.
This is not theory – this is turning the theory you know into action and seeing its results through the growth of our investor and donor network. You will be building and managing an investor CRM, searching and analyzing investor information, planning and executing investor events, writing investor newsletters and playing a central role in the investment process. The success of this lies squarely on your shoulders, giving you a unique opportunity to add value to the East African region.
Access to our Network
- You get to interact with our network of over 80+ funders including impact investors, foundations and angels while working with our companies. Some of the funders we work with include Novastar with over $80m of committed capital.
- You get to interact with and access our network of 160+ mentors including an entrepreneur that has started and exited a company valued at over $1bn, the former Head of HR at Standard Chartered Bank for 20 years and the former Managing Director at East African Breweries and L’Oreal.
- You get to interact with our current network of 37 companies from across East Africa, that we are planning to grow to at least 80 companies by the end of 2019. Some of the companies we have worked with include: Jibu that is providing affordable, quality safe and clean drinking water across East Africa using a franchise model while building entrepreneurs; Natural Extracts Industries that is producing quality vanilla, cocoa and orange extract for the food and beverage industry while increasing the incomes of over 3000 smallholder farmers in Tanzania; and Spouts of Water that manufactures and distributes ceramic water filters in Uganda and South Sudan.
How to APPLY
Step 1: Submit your application
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Investor Relations Intern: [Your Name]”. Please attach the following 3 documents to the email(DO NOT include them in the body of the email):
- Your CV
- A document with answers to these questions.
- Why are you interested in this Intern Recruitment position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria. (max 700 words)