Senior Associate: Investment Support
Position: Full time
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Start date: As soon as role is filled
Your mission: The core focus of this role is to equip entrepreneurs with the right resources, tools and knowledge so they can build and execute their financing and financial management plans. As the Senior Associate-Investment Support you will also be expected to support the due diligence of prospective UEA portfolio companies through doing a financial review on each of these companies.
This role will also be be required from time to time, to support UEA’s internal finance and Investment needs.
- Coaching and Advisory: Support companies to develop their investment potential and generally serve as an investment readiness advisor.
- Due Diligence: Conducting financial analysis and due diligence on prospective client companies and communicating insights to the selection committee through memos and presentations.
- Investment Readiness: Support the Venture Support team to develop and execute the curriculum with focus on investment readiness. This may include developing and delivering training content.
- Implementation Support: Support companies to develop and implement their financing plan. This will include working with entrepreneurs through the capital raising process from structuring to term sheet negotiation and closure.
- Financial Analysis: .Support companies to build and analyze their financial models and capitalization tables to support capital budgeting and financial management decisions of portfolio companies.
- Doing whatever it takes to give an UNREASONABLE advantage to companies. We are a small entrepreneurial team that steps up when there is work to be done. At times, you’ll be expected to work outside of just your role to contribute to our team’s overall efforts.
We Want Someone Who (Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree, with a major in business, finance, accounting or economics preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in the areas of investment advisory for start ups, corporate finance and venture capital.
- You have worked for a startup or in a startup environment, and/or have worked in supporting startups to grow. You are willing to work beyond the job description, wear many hats, and roll with constant change.
Skills + Capabilities
- You know what it takes for a startup to raise and manage capital efficiently.
- You are able to coach and support other to finding their own solutions to challenges.
- You have experience building financial models, cap tables and conducting quantitative and qualitative financial analysis.
- Highly proficient with excel, and have a good working knowledge of word and power point.
- High attention to detail. You pay attention to the small things that make a difference. You believe that no task is too small.
- Ability to interact with portfolio company management and to prepare, understand and present financial analysis.
- Show initiative in identifying new sources of information, as they become necessary and/or available.
- You are willing to tackle projects without much guidance/structure. You are an excellent self-starter. While we have some structure, you will also be called upon to build structure. You can show us how you have stepped into ambiguous and disorganized situations and brought structure.
- You believe that we > I (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us.
- Most importantly, you strongly believe in our vision and mission – the power of entrepreneurship to solve some of the greatest challenges that we face, and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey.
Our UEA Values
We are a values-driven company, and we love to work with people that share these values:
- Treat everyone like the Messiah
- Be militantly transparent
- Lean into fear
- Experiment boldly
- Do what works
- Get shit done
- Remember to dance
This role is equal parts learning, teaching, and doing, a combination that we hope gives long-term value to you, your skill set, and your impact on the East African region. You get to work in a work environment designed to ensure continuous learning, excellence and all dimensions of job satisfaction. You also get to be part of an extensive international network of professionals and entrepreneurs with a deep and diversified pool of expertise, all committed to growing the East African region.
You will learn how to apply corporate finance skills in a real-life context, working directly and on the ground with high potential entrepreneurs that are building the future of East Africa’s economies. You get to work with high caliber of entrepreneurs, helping them build the incredible visions they have for the East African region. You also get access to a personal coach and an annual budget for professional development.
You will be coaching and guiding entrepreneurs on how to build their financial strategy, raise and manage capital, learning and further solidifying these skills for yourself while empowering entrepreneurs to take greater ownership over their financial health. This job gives you an opportunity to become an expert at financial strategy.
This is not theory – this is turning the theory you know into action and seeing it significantly shape the growth trajectory of a company . These companies need your expertise! You will be building financial models, investor memos, renovating historical financial documents, and playing a central role in the investment process. The success of this lies squarely on your shoulders, giving you a unique opportunity to add value to the East African region.
Access to our Network
- You get to interact with our network of over 80+ funders including impact investors, foundations and angels while working with our companies. Some of the funders we work with include Novastar with over $80m of committed capital.
- You get to interact with and access our network of 160+ mentors including an entrepreneur that has started and exited a company valued at over $1bn, the former Head of HR at Standard Chartered Bank for 20 years and the former Managing Director at East African Breweries and L’Oreal.
- You get to interact with our current network of 37 companies from across East Africa, that we are planning to grow to at least 80 companies by the end of 2019. Some of the companies we have worked with include: Jibu that is providing affordable, quality safe and clean drinking water across East Africa using a franchise model while building entrepreneurs; Natural Extracts Industries that is producing quality vanilla, cocoa and orange extract for the food and beverage industry while increasing the incomes of over 3000 smallholder farmers in Tanzania; and Spouts of Water that manufactures and distributes ceramic water filters in Uganda and South Sudan.
How to APPLY
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Investment SA: [Your Name]”. Please attach the following 3 documents to the email(DO NOT include them in the body of the email):
- A document with answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this Senior Associate position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria. (max 700 words)
The deadline for applications is 4th May, 2018