Logistics Associate 2017
To download a copy of the JD, please click here
Position: Short term contract
Dates: 1st July – 15th September, 2017
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Your mission: To plan, design, manage and execute the operations and logistics, to ensure the smooth running of our UEA2017 5-week Institute. This role involves a lot of planning, organizing, hospitality, interior designing, coordination and communications. If these are not the things that you are good at or love doing, this is NOT the right role for you!
- In coordination with the owners of the UEA Mansion (a guest house), setting up the UEA Mansion so that it is fully ready for the 5-week Institute.
- Assigning rooms to Fellows, Mentors and Capital Partners
- Designing the rooms to be super welcoming. The entire UEA Mansion should be inspiring. In addition, our guests should feel at home and want to leave.
- Designing the workspace/s to make them creative and inviting. These spaces should be REALLY inspiring and comfortable, encouraging creativity and execution among our fellows.
- Creating contingency plans for and dealing with any crisis that comes up like a flood or fire
- Finalising all mentor/team/fellows needs for example, dietary requirements
- In coordination with Venture Support team lead on the final logistics for the 5-week institute.
- Ordering all materials and resources for institute
- Preparation of all materials for each session
- Coordinate the logistics around making sure our guests(entrepreneurs, mentors, investors and others) get to us in Kampala including:
- Managing the booking of flights and other forms of transportation for our guests
- Managing the Transporter and ensuring the transportation of our guests goes smoothly
- In coordination with the owners of the UEA Mansion (a guest house), ensure that the mansion runs smoothly, including:
- Cleaning – make sure the Mansion is staying clean and that rooms are prepared for each new arrival (changing sheets, fresh toiletries). This will also involve creating daily habits for all inhabitants to maintain tidiness in the mansion.
- Meals – make sure meals are served on time. A hungry man is an angry man. 🙂
- Managing UEA inventory (cleaning supplies, sheets, toiletries etc)
- Setting up the workshop spaces and areas to ensure they are ready every morning
- Setting up the compound at the UEA mansion to accommodate one-on-one meetings between entrepreneurs and mentors, entrepreneurs and investors and more.
- Being the first point of contact when people arrive at the Mansion. You will aim to greet everyone who walks in and be ready to help however you can, including showing people to their rooms.
- Planning and managing all UEA events(networking happy hours for entrepreneurs, mentors, investors) during the 5-week program. This will include:
- Fully managing and coordinating all logistics for all events.
- Making sure all events have the best equipment available and issues like the projector working, the microphones failing or power outages do not interrupt these events.
- Making sure all events are Unreasonably well branded.
- Setting up and managing registration for all events.
- Managing external communications for all our events(except the Unreasonable Launchpad). This will include inviting our network in advance to ensure an excellent turnout.
- Doing whatever it takes to give an UNREASONABLE advantage to companies. We are a small entrepreneurial team that steps up when there is work to be done. At times, you’ll be expected to work outside of just your role to contribute to our team’s overall efforts.
We Want Someone Who (Qualifications):
- You have 2-5 years of work experience with a strong track-record of running logistics, events, and operations. We need you to be super organized and obsessed with behind-the-scenes detail to make sure everything looks effortless but well organized! You have an uncompromised record of punctuality and organizational capability.
- You have worked for yourself, a startup, in a startup environment or small company. You are willing to work beyond the job description, wear many hats, and roll with constant change.
Skills + Capabilities
- You love working with and putting on events for people! You are cheerful, hospitable and love making sure people are comfortable and have whatever they need. Ideally you have experience managing VIPs. We’re looking for someone who wakes up in the morning and thinks about how they can design new structures and spaces for people to connect, who loves hosting dinner parties at their house, and who might volunteer to plan a wedding! You live for this stuff!
- You have event planning experience. You have planned and executed an event (could be a high profile party or gathering), ideally that involved more than 50 people and took more than one day.
- You know how to design spaces. You have designed creative and inspiring spaces before. You have the eye for brilliant design and ambiance. You know how to make dormant rooms come alive with limited resources and have the unwavering belief that nothing is impossible when it comes to transforming spaces.
- You are able to delegate tasks effectively to the rest of the team (this can be like herding cats!)
- You are willing to tackle projects without much guidance/structure. We are two years old, so while we have some structure, you will also be called upon to build structure. You can show us how you have stepped into ambiguous and disorganized situations and brought structure.
- You believe that we > I (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us.
- You know that the “magic is in the details”. You pay attention to the small things that make a difference. You believe that no task is too small.
- Most importantly, you strongly believe in our vision and mission – the power of entrepreneurship to solve some of the greatest challenges that we face, and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey.
Our UEA Values
We are a values-driven company, and we love to work with people that share these values:
- Treat everyone like the Messiah
- Be militantly transparent
- Lean into fear
- Experiment boldly
- Do what works
- Get shit done
- Remember to dance
How to APPLY
- By Friday 9th June, 2017, send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Logistical Associate: [Your Name]”.
- Please attach the following documents to the email (DO NOT include them in the body of the email):
- Please submit a document with the following information:
- Why are you interested in the Logisitcal Associate position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria.
- For example, We are looking for someone who knows the ‘magic is in the details’. You might tell us about a time when you called everyone attending an event to find out what their favorite snack is. When they arrived at your event, their favorite snack was sitting on their reserved seat waiting for them.
- Make it fun and interesting – if possible use photos, videos from events you’ve been involved in, websites, testimonials from attendees, etc