Unreasonable Mansion Maverick
Apply by 28th February, 2015
Your mission: To hospitably serve as the expert on all things Unreasonable Mansion for all Fellows, Mentors, Investors, and Guests during the 5-week Unreasonable East Africa Institute, including designing the Mansion to foster community among the inhabitants. You will also be responsible for keeping the Unreasonable Mansion (our home for the 5 weeks) running smoothly at all times. The Unreasonable Mansion is a house of 30+ people working 24 hours a day. It is full of energy and takes a lot of work to keep running!
Dates: 1 June, 2015-31 August, 2015
Compensation: Living Stipend covered
- In coordination with the owners of the Unreasonable Mansion (a guest house), setting up the Unreasonable Mansion so that it is totally ready for the Institute.
- Assigning rooms to Fellows, Mentors and Capital Partners
- Designing the rooms to be super welcoming. The entire Unreasonable Mansion should be super inspiring. In addition, our guests should feel at home and NEVER want to leave.
- Designing the workspace/s to make them creative and inviting. These spaces should be super inspiring and really comfortable, encouraging creativity and execution among our fellows.
- Creating contingency plans for and dealing with any crisis that comes up like a flood or fire
- In coordination with the owners of the Unreasonable Mansion (a guest house), ensure that the mansion runs smoothly, including:
- Cleaning – make sure the Mansion is staying clean and that rooms are prepared for each new arrival (changing sheets, fresh toiletries). This will also involve creating daily habits for all inhabitants to maintain tidiness in the mansion.
- Meals – make sure meals are served on time. A hungry man is an angry man. 🙂
- Managing Unreasonable inventory (cleaning supplies, sheets, toiletries etc)
- Being the first point of contact when people arrive at the mansion. You will aim to greet everyone who walks in (when not driving) and be ready to help however you can, including showing people to their rooms.
- Creating and executing daily habits of all inhabitants to foster and build community
- Maintaining efficient communication systems among all the inhabitants of the Unreasonable Mansion ensuring that everyone knows in real time what is happening everyday.
- Making everyone feel at home and Treated like the Messiah(one of our Values)
- Doing whatever it takes to ensure that we send the next generation of entrepreneurs into the world prepared to tackle its greatest challenges
We Want Someone Who (Qualifications)
- Loves logistics. We need you to be super organized and obsessed with behind-the-scenes detail to make sure everything looks effortless but well organized! Has an uncompromised record of punctuality and organizational capability.
- Loves working with people! You are cheerful, hospitable and love making sure people are comfortable and have whatever they need. Ideally you will have experience managing VIPs.
- Has event planning experience. You have planned and executed an event (could be a high profile party or gathering), ideally that involved more than 50 people and took more than one day.
- Knows how to design spaces. You have designed creative and inspiring spaces before. You have the eye for brilliant design and ambience. You know how to make dormant rooms come alive with limited resources and have the unwavering belief that nothing is impossible when it comes to transforming spaces.
- Thrives on teams, and believe that we > I. (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us. This includes being able to delegate tasks effectively to the rest of the team when necessary
- Knows that the “magic is in the details”. You pay attention to the small things that make a difference when it comes to making people feel at home. You believe that no task is too small.
- Is comfortable in a start-up environment. You are willing to work beyond the job description, wear many hats, and roll with constant change.
- Most importantly, believes in the power of entrepreneurship in solving some of the greatest challenges that we face and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey as we seek to make our world a much better place.
How to APPLY
Step 1: Submit your application
By February 28th, 2015 send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Mansion Maverick: [Your Name]”. Please attach the following documents to the email (DO NOT include them in the body of the email):
- A document with this information:
- Why are you interested in the Mansion Maverick position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria.
- For example: We are looking for someone who knows the ‘magic is in the details’. You might tell us about a time when you called everyone attending an event to find out what their favorite snack is. When they arrived at your event, their favorite snack was sitting on their reserved seat waiting for them.
- Make it fun and interesting – if possible use videos from events you’ve been involved in, websites, testimonials from attendees, photos etc
- A document explaining your solution to this Unreasonable Challenge: We are always on the lookout for additional ideas on how to make the Unreasonable Mansion (our home for the 5-week Institute) more engaging and inspiring. This is the space where we sleep, hold our workshops, have our meals and generally where all the action happens. It takes a ton of energy to convert it from a normal space to a welcoming, creative and inspiring space. Imagining a huge house with the following specifications;
- Sleeping space for 50+
- Workshop space for 60+
- Dining space for 60+ (ideally private – where mentor-entrepreneur interactions and entrepreneur-entrepreneur interactions can happen)
- Community space for 60+
What ideas would you implement to transform these spaces(i.e the rooms mentioned above) if they were plain empty rooms so that;
a) The sleeping space is comfortable and inviting
b) The workshop space encourages focus and creativity
c) The dining and community spaces encourage fun and interaction?
You could just mention the items you would include in each room or share designs you would place in different areas or anything. Feel free to get really creative here and let us experience this with you.
- Provide references. Send us background and contact information for two references who can speak to your performance and character with authority.
Step 2: If you move on to the next round, we will have you do the following:
- Have an interview with the Unreasonable Team
- Come visit us for a trial day
Step 3: Our Goal is to have you start on June 1, 2015