Accepting applications until role is filled.
This is an entry level position
Position: Full time
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Your mission: The Mentorship Associate has one mission: to give the best people the best people. Your job is to make entrepreneurs bigger than they are by swarming the best people (mentors, technical experts, professional service providers, etc.) around them. With mentorship as the backbone of Unreasonable East Africa’s value proposition to entrepreneurs, the Mentorship Associate will support and work closely with the VP of Mentorship and Strategic partnerships in delivering an “unreasonable advantage” to entrepreneurs by:
- Managing and growing the UEA Network of mentors (see current network here)
- Matching mentors/professionals to entrepreneurs and facilitating relationship-building
- Managing and operating a CRM that tracks UEA relationships and facilitates connections
- Support in managing and growing the UEA network of mentors. The job of growing and maintaining the network of mentors enables us to consistently deliver relevant mentor matches for our entrepreneurs.
- Build and maintain relationships with existing Mentors in the UEA Network
- Establish deeper and wider mentor pipelines so we can attract more extraordinary mentors region
- Support in vetting and training mentors
- Support in tracking and monitoring of mentor engagement
- Support in running mentor events
- Support in matching mentors/professionals to entrepreneurs. This is the core responsibility that delivers value for entrepreneurs.
- Diagnose an entrepreneur’s needs through personal interviews
- Understand the capabilities and areas of expertise of people in the UEA Network
- Match mentors and entrepreneurs
- Support in managing and operating a CRM that tracks UEA relationships and facilitates connections. Building the relationship infrastructure and plumbing will enable UEA to give the best people the best people in a more organized, efficient, and consistent way, across all of our programs.
- Manage and own the UEA CRM
- Build out greater CRM functionality
- Doing whatever it takes to give an UNREASONABLE advantage to companies. We are a small entrepreneurial team that steps up when there is work to be done. At times, you’ll be expected to work outside of just your role to contribute to our team’s overall efforts.
We want someone who(qualifications)
- You have experience managing a network/group of people and building long lasting relationships. Examples might include:
- You have organised a function for school, family or friends
- You have built , managed or been involved in a mentorship program for school or work
- You have built and managed a network of partner organizations,
- You have strong diagnostic, analytical and pattern-recognition skills.
- You are interested in meeting entrepreneurs and would quickly diagnose and understand the key drivers in their business and the key challenges they are facing
- You are able to recognize “symptom patterns” that entrepreneurs report in a diagnostic interview and identify the underlying root causes of those symptoms
- You are able to match an entrepreneur’s need to a mentor’s expertise
- You love meeting new people. You are an extrovert.
- You draw energy and excitement from meeting and getting to know new people.
- Your inquisitive and curious
- You are engaging and find that people from diverse backgrounds easily warm-up to you
- You have a keen interest and knowledge of East Africa’s business environment.
- You keep-up with current business news
- You enjoy analysing the latest issues affecting business in East Africa
- You are always thinking of creative solutions to challenges. You are able to tackle projects without much guidance. You don’t fear trying something new and experimenting. You are not easily overwhelmed.
- You have a good understanding of social media and social media best practices for business. You can comfortably work with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram. Bonus: You can manage a blog
- You believe that the team is greater than the individual. You can show how, from a place of authority, you have humbled yourself to serve the people you were working with.
- Most importantly, you believe in the power of entrepreneurship to solving some of the greatest challenges that we face and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey as we seek to make our world a much better place.
The Unreasonable Values
We are a values-driven organization, and we love to work with people that share these values:
- Treat everyone like the Messiah – Humility
- Be militantly transparent – Truthfulness
- Lean into fear – Courage
- Experiment boldly – Experiment
- Do what works – Impact
- Get shit done – Execution
- Remember to dance – Celebrate
How to APPLY
Step 1: Submit your application
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Mentorship Associate: [Your Name]”. Please attach the following 3 documents to the email:
- Your resume.
- A document with answers to these questions.
- Why are you interested in the Mentor-ship Associate position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- What is your definition of Mentorship and how would you go about finding and recruiting a mentor to join the UEA network? (max 300 words)
- A document listing two references that know you well and can give insight into your ability to do this job. Please include their name, phone number, email, and your relation to them.
Step 2: If you move on to the next round, we will have you do the following:
- Have phone interview with our team
- Complete a job-related challenge (which we will explain at that time)
- Have a final interview with the UEA team
Step 3: Our Goal is to have you start in January 2017.