Senior Associate: Company Selection and Recruitment
To download a copy of the JD, please click here
Position: Full time
Start date: As soon as position is filled
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Your mission: Your role is to manage and execute on the identification, search and successful selection of entrepreneurs running high potential businesses into UEA’s programs. This is one of the most important things we do at UEA – as we continue to grow our programs in East Africa, we are looking for a really talented individual to support our team to continue selecting the best entrepreneurs.
To succeed in this role, you will be expected to to be methodical in your approach while spending a considerable amount of time out in the field.
- Developing and executing on a robust entrepreneur outreach strategy to source the right entrepreneurs from all corners of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda.
- Identifying entrepreneurs running high potential businesses that meet UEA’s selection criteria in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda into UEA’s programs. We select at least 15 companies for each of our programs.
- Drafting company overviews and detailed profiles to be used during the selection process to analyze the business concept, innovation, growth potential and financials.
- Continuously building and managing pipeline of potential applicants.
- Developing and running UEA entrepreneur sourcing events when needed to attract new entrepreneurs.
- Reporting – continuously providing our management team, up to date data and trends on entrepreneur pipeline.
- Doing whatever it takes to give an UNREASONABLE advantage to companies. We are a small entrepreneurial team that steps up when there is work to be done. At times, you’ll be expected to work outside of just your role to contribute to our team’s overall efforts.
We Want Someone Who (Qualifications):
- You have 3-5 years of work experience with a strong track-record of either sales, marketing, business development, partnership development, network management or customer acquisition.
- You have worked for a startup or in a small business, and/or have worked in supporting startups to grow. You are willing to work beyond the job description, wear many hats, and roll with constant change.
- You have great knowledge and understanding of the social, economic and entrepreneurial climate in Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania or Rwanda. At the least, you have to be able to convince us that you have passion and the experience to be able to quickly learn and understand this.
Skills + Capabilities
- You love meeting new people and can quickly build great relationships. You are an extrovert and superior networker. You draw energy and excitement from meeting and getting to know new people. You are a great conversationalist but most importantly, be great at listening and responding to needs quickly and efficiently. You know people, who know people and other people :).
- You have strong business knowledge and judgement. You are able to make quick judgement about the viability of a business with limited information, and are humble to admit when you are not sure, especially in the cases where you are not so familiar with the industry and context.
- You are willing to tackle projects without much guidance/structure. You are an excellent self-starter. While we have some structure, you will also be called upon to build structure. You can show us how you have stepped into ambiguous and disorganized situations and brought structure.
- You have demonstrable strong project management and leadership skills. Over time, you may be expected to manage a team of your own.
- You believe that we > I (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us.
- You know that the “magic is in the details”. You pay attention to the small things that make a difference. You believe that no task is too small.
- You have great flexibility and are excited to do a lot of travel within East Africa.
- Most importantly, you strongly believe in our vision and mission – the power of entrepreneurship to solve some of the greatest challenges that we face, and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey.
Our UEA Values
We are a values-driven company, and we love to work with people that share these values:
- Treat everyone like the Messiah
- Be militantly transparent
- Lean into fear
- Experiment boldly
- Do what works
- Get shit done
- Remember to dance
How to APPLY
- By Friday 16th June 2017, send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Associate: Selection and Recruitment [Your Name]”.
- Please attach the following documents to the email (DO NOT include them in the body of the email):
- A document with the following information:
- Why are you interested in this Senior Associate position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria. (max 500 words)