Apply by 6th May, 2016
Your mission: To be the fountain of all knowledge and to ensure everyone is where they need/want to be when if it involves some kind of transportation. This role involves a ton of driving and conversation so you’ll need to enjoy driving and should be a great conversationalist!
Dates: June 20 – August 15 2016
- Know Kampala really well and be available to provide real time guidance to any of our visitors that needs help finding their way around, including helping people figure out public transport or coordination with Apricot transport.
- Managing changes in the mentor/capital partner flight schedules and entering into the group calendar.
- Driving Mentors/Capital Partners to and from the airport (where you’ll enjoy one-on-one conversations with people who have successfully grown and scaled companies before or are active investors in East Africa.)
- Giving Mentors/Capital Partners a welcome tour of the Institute on arrival, introducing them to key people and showing them to their room.
- You will be a constantly warm and cheery presence making people feel immediately welcome and comfortable when they come to the house.
- Driving Mentors/Capital Partners back to their homes when they require it.
- Collecting and returning sponsorship items during events. (e.g taking back crates of beer to Nile Breweries, in case they decide to sponsor us in 2016).
- Run errands for the UEA team.
- Doing whatever it takes to ensure that we send the next generation of entrepreneurs into the world prepared to tackle its greatest challenges. This role in particular is extremely varied so you need to be happy to turn your hand to just about anything and be available to support the Mansion Maverick in their role.
We Want Someone Who (Qualifications)
- Has a gift in storytelling and is a great conversationalist. Most of your work will involve telling a story or engaging people in conversation especially during long pickups and drop offs.
- Really enjoys talking to people! You will constantly engage individuals coming through the door of the Unreasonable Mansion, making them feel immediately welcome and doing whatever it takes to make them comfortable and feel like part of the Unreasonable Family
- Does not get bored of driving. There will be certain periods of time when you will be heading to the airport 3 – 4 times a day
- Is comfortable under pressure. You’ll need to keep a lot of balls in the air and be in a lot of places at once!
- Has an uncompromised record of punctuality, hospitality, and organizational capability.
- Believes that we > I (a hat tip to Skillshare for sharing this great value with us). We believe in finding ways to expand the pie so that everyone can get a larger slice rather than trying to claim as much value as possible from a fixed pie. Thus, we believe in pathological collaboration and that this journey is about all of us.
- Knows that the “magic is in the details” and pays attention to the small things that make a difference when it comes to making people feel amazing (for example, picking up a Mentor’s favorite food or drink on the way to the airport so they can enjoy it on the journey back to the Institute)
- Is able to delegate tasks effectively to the rest of the team – you physically may not be able to drive to the airport every time so you need to set up a system where you know who you can delegate this to
- Is willing to work beyond the job description, wear many hats, and roll with constant change. In addition, you believe that no task is too small.
- Has a driver’s license (and ideally, but not necessarily) a car
- Is able to work with is on the ground between June 20 – August 15 2016.
- Most importantly, believes in the power of entrepreneurship in solving some of the greatest challenges that we face and will jump for an opportunity to play a small part in a grand journey as we seek to make our world a much better place.
How to APPLY
Step 1: Submit your application
By February 28th 2015 send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “[Job Title]: [Your Name]”. In the email, please include the following:
- A document with this information:
- Why are you interested in the Mansion Maverick position? What makes you a great fit for that role? (max 300 words)
- Why Unreasonable East Africa? Why do you want to devote a period of your life to working for Unreasonable East Africa? (max 300 words)
- Take the list in the job description titled ‘We want someone who…..’ and next to each point, tell us what evidence you have that you fulfill this criteria.
- For example, We are looking for someone who knows the ‘magic is in the details’. You might tell us about a time when you called everyone attending an event to find out what their favorite snack is. When they arrived at your event, their favorite snack was sitting on their reserved seat waiting for them.
- Make it fun and interesting – if possible use videos from events you’ve been involved in, websites, testimonials from attendees, photos etc
- Provide references. Send us background and contact information for two references who can speak to your performance and character with authority.
Step 2: If you move on to the next round, we will have you do the following:
- Have an interview with the Unreasonable Team
- Come visit us for a trial day
Step 3: Our Goal is to have you start by June 20, 2015.